download (12).jpg

We rescued Ebba from Devore Shelter on June 23, 2012, with the help of The Barking Lot.  The shelter said she was 7 years old, but our vets guessed that she was 16 or 17 years old! 

From the moment we saw her scheduled for euthanasia at Devore Shelter last June, we had to save her. When the transporter arrived in San Diego, she introduced me to 'Twiggy,' a much smaller and older dog than we had expected. We fell in love with her silly, rigid gait and gentle temperament instantly. She was our first female dog, our little grandma. I named her after a woman I took care of at an assisted living facility in college. My Princess Ebba, Ebba-be-nebula, Ebba-girl, Ebba-lynn. 

We don't know what Ebba's previous decade of life was like before she was ours, but we are absolutely positive that the past 16 months she spent with us, were the most memorable moments of her life. Ebba came with me to The Barking Lot in the morning, to work at night, and she was always the top pick of the pack to join us for dinner outings. She was my other fluffy half, my little girlfriend.

Whoever left her in the shelter to die, missed out. Ebba had a good year left in her, in fact...her best. No one could have loved her as much as we did. Considering all the sadness we drowned in at her passing, we hope Ebba's story radiates the amount of love we shared, and encourages you to adopt a senior pet. 

We are grateful to have had Ebba in our lives as she was our inspiration in launching Frosted Faces Foundation.


download (20).jpg

We fulfilled our promise to Elsa on September 19th, 2016.

While we were hopeful we could cure her panreatitis, her eyes became vacant, and we knew there was something more serious causing her condition.

We rescued Elsa when she was 8 years old on November 7th, 2013 from OC Shelter with advocacy of our friends at Lionel's Legacy. Elsa was brought in as a stray and labelled "rescue only" for bad behavior. On that day, Elsa the Snow Queen became our little sassy teenager who got dragged on family outings for the next three years!

Elsa leaped off of curbs, she carried bones around the house, she pawed at the door to come inside after going potty, and she always walked very slowly on leash as if to resist being controlled. Whenever she offered us a kiss, the room was silenced and stilled in surprise to witness her moments of trust and affection. Elsa was so soft, so beautiful.  We will never forget that.

Thank you to Amber Tkach for being Elsa's monthly sponsoring Fan. Thank you to Andy Smíšek for saying "yes" to one more senior dog I had to have and falling in love with her alongside me.

Elsa knew tricks from the first day we got her! She knew "shake" "sit" "down" "roll over" "spin" and "double five." Those senior dogs left behind in the shelter system... all that love... all that life...

Mommy & Daddy love you sweet Elsa.


download (13).jpg

We rescued 13 year old Ernie from South LA Shelter, with the help of The Barking Lot, on May 7th, 2014.  He ate very little upon rescue, but he loved eggs!  He was diagnosed with congestive heart failure by our veterinarians.  We loved him up, and tried to give him as many positive and caring experiences as possible!  Ernie went on a trip to Fiesta Island, watched sunsets on Mission Bay, tried on a couple new outfits, ate some great new human foods, and received a lot of snuggles.  A short couple weeks passed, and on May 19th, 2014, while we were at the vet for chest x-rays, he went into cardiac arrest and passed away.  Ernie taught us how precious our time is here on Earth, as our hearts were set at ease after his passing, knowing how special his last weeks had been.


download (14).jpg

die (fka Sugar) was a 14 year old owner surrender, who we rescued from Carson Shelter on May 21, 2014.  The previous owners said she was too ill.  Thanks to The Barking Lot for helping us to rescue her, and Kathleen McCabe who transported this little sweetie to us!  

The whole first evening Edie was passing out every 40 minutes!  We took her to Bay Park Veterinary Clinic the next morning to learn that she was having syncopatic episodes due to congestive heart failure.  After getting her a prescription for the appropriate medications, she trotted out of the vet, and hadn't had an episode the rest of her time with us.

Edie still wheezed a bit when she got too excited, so we tried to be very gentle with her.  That didn't stop her from investigating the WHOLE yard, and she loved rolling in the grass!  Edie sat at our feet wherever we were dwelling, and when we were eating, she stood at our feet and barked with a whole-hearted hop!  Yes, this little princess melted us!

Edie's little heart told us it was her time to go on August 20th, 2014.  We are confident that we Fulfilled our promise of Family to her, as her broken-hearted mommy and daddy wept over her and whispered sweet words into her ears, as we released her from her struggle-our final promise.


download (21).jpg

We fulfilled our promise to Emerson on October 17th, 2016.

We rescued Emerson from Downey Shelter on May 31st, 2014 after he had been surrendered by his owners. Right after we celebrated his 15th birthday he was diagnosed with lung cancer and he slipped away so quickly.

We love so many senior dogs and help them pass with dignity. More than ever, we are just exhausted and being completely irrational dealing with the fact that we will never ever see him again. We loved him like a son.

Thank you to Rachel Frederick for being Emerson's monthly sponsoring Fan. Emerson was loved by Andy and Kelly Smisek.

We will always love you, Emerson.


download (19).jpg

mily (fka Precious) was an 18 year old owner surrender from Carson Shelter, who we rescued on June 17th, 2014.  Her previous owners claimed she was too old.  We drove up one day after being relinquished, because we noticed her immediate resemblance to our Princess Ebba-Face, and we HAD to have her!  Imagine that!  Someone having  to have you after being heartlessly surrendered!  

It was obvious right away that Emily couldn't see and had neurological issues because she was walking in circles. She was quite skinny underneath all of that fluff too!  After being examined at Lindsey Veterinary Clinic, we were pretty sure her time was limited.  We took her home and loved her up, and realized that Emily wasn't going anywhere!  

Much of Emily's confusion was a result of her blindness, with a some tendencies of dementia, but MAN, this girl wanted to live!   She loved to eat.  Her teeth were very rotten, but we had opted out of surgery due to her age.  Despite her sore mouth, she chomped down anything she was given, and took it from us with gusto! Emily slept between us at night, and loved all the smells of the yard.  Other times she wandered, or we tried to make her comfortable on the couch.  Gentle Emily was sincerely acknowledged by the other dogs and they were very patient with her tiny, stiff steps.  We are so happy to have had this precious girl in our lives!

On November 3rd, 2014 we decided that Emily was not living the exceptional quality of life we wanted for her with her newfound freedom.   She was having a more difficult time getting comfortable, she had begun actually acting very lost and cried out often with confusion, opposed to her previous state where she happily lived in a state of unawareness in Emilyville.  

Emily forced us to evaluate what dogs should get out of life.  She never seemed "present" from day one, but because bloodwork and tests consistently came back normal, we made the conscious decision to keep her alive and challenged ourselves to keep her comfortable and provide the good things that made her sparkle.  She loved meeting the new dogs and the hustle of the pack.  She would stop spinning circles and approach dogs for sniffs!  If any food was out her eyes and her nose followed us, making feeding times special moments because she truly acknowledged us!   More than anything Emily loved to be scooped up like a baby by Dad, and fall asleep on the rise and fall and warmth of his chest.  This was how her last night was spent with us, and her dad was the last one to hold her before she fell into a deep endless sleep.  We love


We rescued 13 year old Charlie (fka Skippy) the 5th of July, 2014.  We had been waiting for a foster to step up for him for over a month, while he waited in Downey Shelter.  As the worst holiday for pets approached, the 4th of July, we knew is days were numbered.  Sure enough, he was scheduled to be euthanized on the 5th for space!! Thanks to coordination by Pamela Yin and Ruth Silny, Charlie got out and was transported by Leighanne Spinney to us!  At nearly midnight the night before, our good friends David & Patricia Mihalko decided they wanted to be his Family, which gave us the capability to rescue him.  

Charlie's teeth were worn, he had flaky skin and flea dermatitis on his backside, and a terrible ear infection.  He was treated at Lindsey Veterinary Clinic, and then approved to be neutered and get a dental cleaning!

Charlie's new mom says: "Charlie has blended into our pack very well. He loves to check everything out like an inquisitive boy! He loves being inside rather than outside. He just likes to go out to do his business then paws at the door to cube back in. Charlie loves following me around the house or laying down at my feet. Charlie is very treat motivated so he was quick to learn sit, lay down, and high five! As soon as the treat bowl moves he's right there ready for "sit".  He likes to take walks around the neighborhood and is great on the leash! NOTHING seems to phase him! Other dogs barking, skateboarders, bikes, people, etc. He has a gentle soul...and he loves giving doggie kisses! I must add that he likes when I sing him to sleep!  I was singing to him last night and he snuggled into my lap and went to sleep."

Monthly Sponsoring Fans
Lisa Biel
Beth Ruch
Christina Jones

Mari Stein



Joey, (fka Reese) was a 10 year old owner surrender we rescued from Carson Shelter on July 11th, 2014.  Thanks to Carey Nagoda for transporting her to us! Poor Joey was a hot mess! She had a chronic ear infection in both ears, green discharge from her eyes, multiple cysts and scabs, limited vision, and an endocrine disease. All of this aside from the obvious skin condition causing her crazy itchiness and neglected grooming. Look at those mats! 

When she first arrived she was very untrusting, and growled at the unfamiliar hand.  After being cleaned up and exploring the house, she was begging to jump on our laps!  She has gone to Fiesta Island, and has miraculous recall for being unfamiliar and blind! Her new mom says she loves standing on her favorite bench in the yard, watching everything, and is slowly learning the doggie door!  She is spunky and curious, but also loves to cuddle. We know that life will only get better from here for sweet Joey!  Her rescue was made possible because Paula Rushton offered to be her new Family!

Forever Foster, Paula Rushton, writes:
"Poor Joey was a hot mess! She had a chronic ear infection in both ears, green discharge from her eyes, multiple cysts and scabs, limited vision, and an endocrine disease. All of this aside from an obvious skin condition causing her crazy itchiness and neglected grooming. 

Joey continues to struggle with allergy issues but her mom tries hard to find a good balance between medications, baths, proper foods and good old TLC.  Joey is, ahem, "spirited".  She is not a shrinking violet and will probably never be described as mellow or easy going - she is Joey, she likes things a certain way and that way better be Joey's way!  She is loved by her person, Paula Rushton, and tolerated (ha ha) by the rest of the pet family: fellow FFs Mr. Man & Tully, a fourth dog named Briscoe and a very patient cat, Peaches."

Monthly Sponsoring Fans
Tammy Martin

Katie Doyle


download (22).jpg

We lost our 13 year old Frosted Face Ellie after surgery on November 11th, 2015. We will admit that we are gravely disappointed and heartbroken.

We don't want to be the crazy dog owners who can't see the big picture, who spend thousands of dollars on diagnostics and procedures when their pet is truly dying, and neglect just spending time with them. At the same time, we had hope. We regret that we were not present when she passed away, as that is the worst burden to carry when we loved her so much. Did we push it too far? How could we know? We couldn't let Ellie go home last night with a pyometra, nor could we justify euthanizing her without trying.

We absolutely could not in good conscience have put her to sleep yesterday upon diagnosis the way she was trotting around the room, wagging her tail for pets, and cocking her head alert at the door when she heard noises.

You must watch her shelter video, know that she was wheeled in a cart out to our car upon rescue, and credit her Forever Foster as he gave her over a friggin' YEAR beyond this video! We rescued Ellie from Carson Shelter on July 9th, 2014. She was placed with the best, most knowledgable Forever Foster in regards to diabetes, received endless kisses from siblings and was loved to the moon and back. No doubt whoever surrendered Ellie would not believe that with proper veterinary care our girl lived so much longer beyond the time they had given up on her.

Ron writes in tribute to Ellie:

"When I think of Ellie I imagine the most perfect dog. She was so sweet and gentle. Always lounging around by my side while I worked. I loved the way her mouth would curl into a smile when you rubbed her head.

She loved to sleep and sleep and then roam around at night like a vampire. When I would wake up in the morning she would be in the bedroom doorway just waiting to start the day.

It's hard to believe anyone would give her up. She's the dog you see in the movies you wished your own dog could be. I'm glad that I had a chance to spend time with her."

We are sorry, Ellie. We love you and we tried.

Thank you to Ron Gaza for being Ellie's loving Forever Foster Family, and thank you to Carey Nagoda for being Ellie's dedicated monthly sponsoring Fan.



Two weeks ago, while I was rescuing sweet Ellie, I stood with 9 year old Niko's dad in the Carson Shelter parking lot pleading for him to come up with alternative options other than to relinquish him and his sister. I warned him that to surrender Niko & Cleo was a death sentence. He took the time to call home, sat in the car and reconsidered…then I saw him march them two in. My heart sank. He gave me the guilty eyes as I watched, and then he came over to me and I repeated, "It's a death sentence." His response, "I know, it sucks." He claimed they were building a pool, they had a newborn baby, and they just had too much going on.

We went on a mission to find a Family for Niko, and on July 20th, 2014 we rescued him! We worked closely with Pickle Pants Rescue to ensure that Niko's sister, Cleo, got rescued too.  Niko arrived to us itchy, but in otherwise great health!  He got neutered and his teeth cleaned, and he is now living with his loving family, Bethany Moore, Darryl Burce, and Leon.

Monthly Sponsoring Fans
Emily Elliott 

Fido's Forty Winks


e fulfilled our promise to Rosie on August 17th, 2016. We rescued Rosie from San Bernardino City Shelter on July 23rd, 2014 at the age of 10. She just celebrated her second Frostiversary, but yesterday too many systems were suddenly failing at once and we were advised to let her go.

"Our beloved Rosie-Belle is no longer with us today. In a completely unexpected turn of events, Rosie was not herself this morning and steadily declined in no time. We rushed her to the vet and unfortunately, the news was dire; Rosie was extremely ill and sadly, in a lot of pain. So, much as it broke my heart to have to say goodbye, she was held and kissed as she left us as peacefully as she had arrived.

We had the opportunity to foster Rosie for a short time but it was incredible to see her grow into a member of our family so quickly. Rosie was a wonderful, beautiful soul that came to us with such sadness. I’ll never forget the day Kelly dropped her off and she promptly dug a hole in the garden and curled into it. It took two days of us gently bringing her inside to let her know that the super soft bed was hers, the gigantic pillows had her name on it and she would never spend another night outside – ever. She absolutely LOVED being brushed and a special thank you to her secret admirers who sent her the brush set on her frostiversary, it made for an incredibly happy Rosie! She loved our daughter Ella, seeking her out to nuzzle up to her as much as possible. And food, did she love her food! If you were cooking in the kitchen, it was a guarantee that she’d be right in the middle of the floor knowing she’d get a sample of whatever we were making. What amazed me most though was the transformation; she was happy. She’d wag her tail when she’d sense us approaching, she’d nuzzle your hand to keep on petting her and she loved her clean blankets – rolling around in them, making sure she covered them in hair while they were still warm from the dryer.

It is incredibly heartbreaking to have lost her however I spent an hour outside this evening looking at the stars and I remembered the following quote “perhaps they are not stars in the sky, but rather openings where our loved ones shine down to let us know they are happy”. Run free my darling Rosie-Belle. And when my heart hurts, I’ll look up at the stars and know that once blind, you can now see – and what an amazing view you have. <3

Love, Nadia"

Thank you to Matthew and Nadia Fulkerson for being Rosie's Forever Foster Family without hesitation when she needed attention and stability most, and thank you to Moira Mahoney, Guy Zigfried, and Kathleen Miner for being her dedicated monthly sponsoring Fans.


download (1).jpg

hadow is somewhat of a mystery dog. This calm 10 year-old female German Shepherd mix has a mostly black body with the beautiful white coloring old age tends to bring. Her soulful brown eyes and salt-and-pepper face are quite mesmerizing, hiding the fact that she has a slight dent on the top right side of her head from a terrible ear infection.

Despite being an owner surrender at North Central Shelter-Los Angeles, we sadly have no information on Shadow's past. Why anyone would give this sweet girl up is a total mystery to us! The only thing not completely amazing about Shadow is that she has a slightly stiff gait. But what 10-year old doesn't have a little joint pain? She doesn't seem to be too bothered by it and walked very gently on her leash. Sweet Shadow doesn't need much to make her happy – a little walk, a little play, and lots of love!  She sits contently at her mom's feet, and nudges her mom's hand in the morning to make her up to go potty!  

We rescued Shadow on July 26th, 2014, with the persistent networking and coordination of Cynthia Dofton, Claudia Garcia, and Erin Barker.  Want to know the best part?!  With so many newlyweds buying puppies after tying the know, Shadow's Family was a newlywed couple of 3 weeks!  A huge thank you to rockstar Family Kelly and Mike Hayes for making such a selfless decision to add a SENIOR baby to your new relationship!

Notes from Mom:

"She loves attention, I feel like I could pet her all day long and it still wouldn't be enough. If we are laying on the couch she loves to walk by and just lick our faces and then walk away - we call it a drive by.  Shadow lives up to her name and completely follows me around the house (like a shadow, haha)!

If I leave the house and Mike is still home (so she isn't in the crate), she lays down on the bottom landing near the door and waits for me <3

She loves walks! She also loves going to the park and chasing the tennis ball. She usually has to wait until Jack is tired enough so she can actually get one.  She is great at the dog park. She doesn't quite play, but loves to sniff butts and greet all the people at the park for a scratch or two.  Since her TECO-BO surgery, she visibly has more energy and almost plays with Jack when she gets excited.  She is scared of the cat, But will sometimes get the courage to sniff him.

Shadow is fully housebroken now - the only time she pees is if she is really excited!  "

Monthly Sponsoring Fans
Rhamona Zielonka
Brian Parker

Erin Garibald


download (24).jpg

We had a Family offer for Samuel (known as Larry in the shelter) right away when he arrived at Carson Shelter.  Kay Buell, the ultimate serial senior foster, had this boy on her mind! We were all ready to save him, and then suddenly, the shelter had rescanned him and discovered a microchip.  We and our anxious foster waited for Samuel's microchip hold to be done.  No one came, but we were knocking down his kennel door on his due out date on July 28th, 2014!  

He was infested with fleas and ticks and had a horribly stiff gate. The vet told us that his elbows were very thick with arthritis, causing him to walk like he was on stilts.  We immediately put him on Metacam, and his joints now move a little more fluidly.  After being bathed and medicated causing the fleas to fall off, Sammy had the softest thick coat!

Sammy loved the beach, giving kisses, running with excited pitter patters of his front feet toward his mommy, and then bunny hops! He also learned how to open the fridge on one of his first nights in the house!  Uh oh!  He got his weekly dose of ice cream to keep those pitter patters going too!  

It was on April 12th, 2015 Kay told us Samuel had been stolen from her yard.  We later learned that she made some very irresponsible decisions with her dogs as a person who we did not recognize or experience in our multiple interactions.  We fear that Samuel is no longer alive and our hearts ache for him.  


download (18).jpg

Giles was rescued from Ramona Humane Society on August 5th, 2014.  Giles (fka Elijah) lived with the loving Family of Wendy Loeffler.  She took one look at the intake photo and just knew that underneath the matted fur and bad teeth was a sweet boy that had to come home to stay with her son and her terrier mutt, Guinness. And she was right. His first haircut was a little rough, but he was super cute, soft as a little lamb, and only 8 lbs. The doc thinks he is 14 years old and he had all sorts of the general stray-related issues, such as matted fur, infected foxtails, fleas, bad teeth, skinny body, and kennel cough. He appears to be a poodle-bichon mix, with others added in for variety, perhaps. He has super long front legs and one wonky ankle, which makes him walk/hop like a small gazelle. Most of his teeth had to be extracted with the exception of the three front canines that were left in place, giving him a snaggle-tooth appearance.

He settled in perfectly into the house. Guinness, who is a 20-lb stocky pup, was gentle with him. Giles seemed unable or uncertain about navigating the steps to the porch and deck, but within a week or two, he was going up and down them like a champ. And while he was a little old man, he still seemed to have some fiesty male behaviours, such as trying to one-up Guinness while relieving themselves in the yard! He was super-bonded with Wendy and followed her around whenever he could. He also slept a lot and loved nothing better than to be curled up on the couch or bed, next to one of his family. He curled up at night next to her head although she tried to get him to sleep in his dogbed by her feet to make sure he didn't get smushed at night.

He was a sweet boy! Poor Giles was diagnosed with advanced liver disease and his health declined rapidly. Wendy administered food, fluids, and meds to try and get it under control. On October 27th, 2014 Giles told his mom that he was ready to be more comfortable and needed her to lovingly help him pass away into a painless deep sleep.  Giles was one of the worst cases of neglect Frosted Faces has yet experienced and we are privileged to have been able to pair him with wonderful Wendy, to fulfill our promise of Family in his final months.



download (25).jpg

16 year old Molly was rescued from Baldwin Park Shelter on August 12th, 2014.  She is sweet as can be, and  comfortably lounged in her new Family's home with Frosted Face Samuel, and new mom, Kay Buell, for a few months before her passing on January 11th, 2015.

"My Molly had my heart when I saw her curled up in her cage at the shelter. She came up and looked at her eyes and promised she would never sleep on cement again and was coming home with me. Petite soft coat and soulful eyes described Molly. Followed me everywhere. My puppy Vida loved Molly from day one. Mother and daughter I called them. Molly watched over all my furkids and was just a protector at heart. She liked harmony in the house and always smiling when I came through the door. Like she was saying, 'all is good mommy and you can take over.' She loved treats ice cream sitting on her favorite lounge chair in the sun watching the world go by. We miss you Mollly and our house is empty without you. Vida looks for you all the time. We are heartbroken and remember we will see you again my Molly Wolly. Fly high Angel....till we meet again.

Love Mom and Vida"


We Fulfilled our promise to 13 year old Potato on February 15th, 2016. We rescued Potato from SBC Shelter on August 1st, 2014. His mom tells his story the absolute best:

"We lost our Potato today.

I thought I knew going in how this would end. My husband and I would get a dog to love and care for, for a little while. But eventually, I'd have to be there while that dog quietly left our lives. Of course, this would be after much debate over when was the best time to let the dog go. And after days or weeks of checking items off the dog's bucket list, we would schedule the right time for him to be ushered to the other side.

Yesterday, February 14, Potato started the morning with two seizures. He'd never had them before. We panicked and rushed to the vet, but there isn't much to be done for just two seizures. Plus, Potato seemed to have come around to acting his normal, happy self again. We went home with a lot more information than we had to start, and instructions to watch Potato and keep a log. The log looked like this:

2/14 7:15am duration unknown

2/14 7:45am duration 1.5 minutes

2/14 11:22pm duration 45 seconds

2/15 2:00 am 2 min

2/15 2:10am 2 min

2/15 2:15am 2 min

2/15 2:30am 2.5 minutes

Shortly after that, while we were in the process of contacting an emergency vet, Potato's seizures became so frequent we couldn't count them anymore. We couldn't tell where one ended and the next began. We had to transport Potato while he was seizing. He didn't stop the whole ride there. The vet gave Potato two doses of valium. He was still seizing. At that point, there was no deciding. Ultimately, Frosted Faces gets to decide, but I knew we had to let him go. No bucket list day, no careful planning. It was time. We had to get ready. We let him go early this morning. We cried.

That's how it ended, but the year-and-a-half before that was a gift. The transformation Potato underwent in our care was the most rewarding thing I've ever experienced. He was always a great dog, well-mannered, social with dogs, people, and even horses. But after we'd had him some months, he just-- blossomed. He was always full of such joy. Big, wide, smiley joy.

And he was my shadow. I'll miss him waiting to greet my car when I get home, and head butting the bathroom door the whole time I'm in there. No one will randomly come up and lean against my legs anymore, because it is the safest place to be, even if it makes us both trip.

He liked to stick his head under any hand, arm or leg that might extended in space, so he could get a free pet. He surprised more than one friend that way, and even a couple unsuspecting strangers.

We don't know what befell Potato before he came to us. Whatever it was, it left him sick, injured, and infected, alone in the San Bernardino County Shelter. But still, he approached life with this excitement and aplomb, like he never had reason to expect a bad result. We could all learn to be a little more like that.

It was a privilege to share our home with Potato while we could. He hiked with his brother, Stax, met horses, liked to visit our neighborhood park, and even got to tour Sonoma. Thank you, Frosted Faces Foundation and Kelly Smisek for gifting us our time with Potato and for being there for us whenever we needed you. And thank you Frosted Faces Family for always being so supportive."

Thank you Dominic & Christine Castiglioni for being Potato's loving Forever Foster Family. Thank you Lindy & Ed Kalpakoff, Patricia Allem, and Kimberly Rogers for being Potato's dedicated monthly sponsoring Fans.

Rest in peace smiling Potato.


download (27).jpg

We Fulfilled our promise to Burnzy April 27th, 2015.  We rescued 14 year old Burnzy on August 5th, 2014 after he has been surrendered there by his owners. His family writes:

"It's with great sadness and tear filled eyes that I have to announce that MrBurnzy has crossed over the rainbow bridge. 
When he became a part of the Soto family last year in June, the vet said he'd give him 6 days to 6 weeks max. Well we showed him... Burnzy got a taste of the "good water" and lived the rest of his life surrounded by love, family and a whole bunch of foster brothers and sisters. 
We will miss his "happy feet dance" that he preformed before every meal and the nudge of his muzzle along the couch when we watched TV. He might've only had 10 months with us but we loved him as if we had him for 10yrs. 
We love you BURNZY!!! Rest in peace now with no pain."
Thank you to Raymond and Pam Soto for being Burnzy's Forever Foster Family.

Love, Mom & Dad.


Bo was rescued from the Redlands Shelter on August 9th, 2014.  He and his best friend Toby were loving life at headquarters and were just featured on Fox's Cause for Paws.  He is now living in New York with his best friend Toby, with Joe Salvatore & Toniann Zukowski.

Monthly Sponsoring Fans
Rachel Harriger

Rosemary Connoll




download (3).jpg

Toby was rescued from the Redlands Shelter on August 9th, 2014.  He and his best friend Bo were loving life at headquarters and were just featured on Fox's Cause for Paws.  He is now living in New York with his best friend Bo, with Joe Salvatore & Toniann Zukowski.

Monthly Sponsoring Fan

Lisa Switzer





We fulfilled our promise to Russell on December 28th, 2016 at the age of 14 years old.

We rescued Russell on August 9th, 2014 from Downey Shelter. Most notably, when we rescued him he was paralyzed, and after about 6 months he began to walk again. He was chasing balls up until yesterday!

Russell seemed dull this morning and he had a very low temperature. We knew he had metastatic hemangiosarcoma, and we have been preparing ourselves for over a year for the inevitable rupture of his splenic mass, as surgery did not seem sensible.

Knowing how quickly he would pass, I laid him in his bed in the sunshine wrapped in a fleece blanket. I spooned my Russell and sang "You Are My Sunshine" endlessly in his ear as I wept. Andy was too far out in the field at work to be present, but we got to FaceTime him so he could say goodbye to his boy. I ultimately brought Russell to San Diego Bay Animal Hospital to let him go so that he did not have to endure the dying process.

If you know us, you knew Russell and how much he meant to us. He always received our softest touch, the longest good night kisses, sweetest voices, and enjoyed the most family outings because he was such a good boy. He brought out genuine kindness in us. We included him in everything and we agree that we have few regrets other than wishing we had more time with him. We have story after story about Russell, and we will be telling them for our lifetime as we go on without him.

Thank you to Gina Philips and Jo Anna Green for being Russell's dedicated monthly sponsoring Fans.

It was an honor to be your family, sweet Russell. Mommy & Daddy will always love you.


download (29).jpg

In October 7th, 2015 we Fulfilled our promise to 14 year old Shirley. We rescued Shirley on August 11th, 2014 from Baldwin Park Shelter, but only because we got a very special phone call from two people who wanted to make a difference. They saw her dirty and hiding under a bed at the shelter, so they called FFF wanting to make her a Frosted Face. They would pick her up, drive her to San Diego themselves for vetting, send detailed email updates, and host a significant fundraiser [Frosted Faces: Unscripted] becoming model FFF forever fosters, and the Family Shirley should have had all along. 

In the beginning we removed many mammary masses and spayed Shirley for preventative health reasons. Her masses grew back full force-cancerous and angry, she developed Cushing's, was in the beginning stages of renal failure, and her little hind legs just could not hold her behind up anymore.  

Carla and Craig Cackowski remember their little girl ~
"Shirley had my heart the moment I saw her video from the shelter online. She was a sweetheart and everyone who ever met her said so. Shirley was so sick for so long- probably even when we pulled her out of the shelter over a year ago. She needed to rest. I could feel it was time. Our family will miss her terribly and we are so grateful to have spent the last fourteen months with her in our lives. Thank you to Kelly and the Frosted Faces Community- the world is a nicer place with you all in it."

Thank you Kamela Gladich for being Shirley's dedicated monthly sponsoring Fan, and thank you Craig and Carla for being a real Family for a senior dog whose love and life was just left behind in the shelter system. Shirley was loved and will be missed because you made her matter.

Monthly Sponsoring Fan in Memory of Shirley

Kamela Gladich


download (30).jpg

14 year old Simon was rescued from Moreno Valley Shelter on August  24th, 2014.  Thanks to TJ & Bobbie Shaw for being his Family!  Simon passed away on January 8th, 2015.

Mom, Bobbie writes:

"I didn't hesitate. How could you look at that face and say no? We fell in love with Simon as soon as we picked him up, and it felt like we had him his whole life. He automatically became part of our family. I miss him following me around! Even though he was blind he seemed to know where I was aways. I miss his little bark that sounded like a seal. We can't imagine how anyone could carry him into a pound and walk away. We loved that little man, and he will be missed."


download (15).jpg

9 year old Bubba was rescued from Baldwin Park shelter on September 6th, 2014. Bubba always had people rooting for him!  Bubba was well networked  by countless Baldwin dog supporters who loved him, and we were able to rescue him with TWO foster offers on deck!  Tori Armstrong rushed to the shelter to spring him for us as soon as she heard the news that we had a plan.  He howled in her front seat on the way home to let everyone know he was a free man!

Bubba was a big boy, weighing in at 49 lbs, and he was calm and as lovable as a marshmallow (sweet & pillowy).  He loved being out and watching the happenings of the house from his orthopedic pillow under a big fan!  After his initial vetting we found that he had an upper respiratory infection, Lymphoma, and poorly functioning kidneys.  

Anxious Family, Paul Hupp and "pack" were waiting for his arrival nonetheless where they could continue treatment.  He spent one really good night with Paul getting lots of petting and snuggling, and a good teeth cleaning.  We were beginning to be concerned that he hadn't eaten in 3 days, so volunteer, Lynsey Rave, drove him all of the way back to San Diego for more testing.  While in San Diego Bubba snagged the hearts of the Lawler's, a Family who was designated as short term foster while he received care.  We retested Bubba's labs, and test results 7 days later proved worse, revealing that he was in the advanced stages of multiple organ systems failing.

We agreed on one more good day where he still refused the best of food, but got snuggled by the Lawler kids and got to lay in the grass under the warm sun.  The kids said what we were all thinking, "Bubba has such a cute face.  Why can't we just put Bubba's face on a healthier body?"  

Poor Bubba let us know he was was ready to be pain free, as his breathing started to deteriorate and he passed diarrhea of food he had never eaten.  His body was all done.  Bubba was escorted over the Rainbow Bridge on September 14th, 2014, with eight loving hands rubbing his body, scratching his ears, and kissing his nose.

We wish we could fill these paragraphs with more stories…a greater glimpse of happiness we could have given him. In only a week though, he somehow went from having no Family to THREE Families, all who prayed, cried, and gawked over adorable pictures we shared with each other while exchanging responsibility for his care.  Bubba passed with dignity and literally encapsulated by several hands of love.  

Dad, Paul Hupp's message to Bubba, "Bubba, I loved you, I still love you and I miss you…"


download (6).jpg

Not all dogs are lucky enough to have owners take the time to surrender them to the shelter (Wait! Does that even make sense?!) -for a possible rescue, of course. 

This lucky girl, Bug, caught our eye as soon as our friend  Wendy Nelson created awareness of her and took responsibility for her care. While we waited for a solid foster, as she was on our list of "Prospective Frosted Faces," Wendy vetted her with the help of some FFF donations. 

Poor Bug has been through a heck of a life. She is an older girl (about 10 years old!) who was found in the bushes, pushing fluid and acting like she was in labor. The California City Animal Shelter Page was called to pick her up and she was taken to the shelter. Sadly poor Bug was just dollar signs to some irresponsible, selfish human being. We learned through the grapevine that her name is Bug. We learned she had been in labor since Thursday (August 28, 2014) and she was found on TUESDAY Sept 2, 2014! 
Bug was not comfortable and was bleeding. It felt like she had babies in there but we guessed they must be dead. 

Well at the end, Bug was rushed to the vet on Wednesday Sept 3, 2014 where they did an emergency spay. She had no puppies in her, thankfully, but she did have many cysts and lesions in her uterus and also had signs of at least one but likely several C-Sections. This poor girl has been through a lot of neglect. 

This dog suffered because of humans, but Bug was released from the vet and arrived at her true Family's house! Bug gets to be the baby now with forever fosters Adriana & Ricardo Vargas! They love her!

Monthly Sponsoring Fan
Lisa Killen
Helen Lau

Mr. Man

download (4).jpg

10 year old Mr. Man was rescued from Orange County Animal Care & Control on September 3rd, 2014.   MM lives with Frosted Face sister, Joey, and Briscoe all thanks to Mom, Paula Rushton!

Mr. Man:  part terrier, part chihuahua, part Tasmanian devil.  What he lacks in leg length he makes up for with enthusiasm and sass! He is working on learning to contain his excitement when he sees other doggies out in the big world, he gets wound up and winds up with his siblings' other leashes. He is smart and figuring out that mellowing out is best and produces treats.

He loves chasing balls in the yard and receiving belly scratches; a fun little dog who enjoys his comfy bed when it is time for rest.  He is safe, cared for and loved!Forever Foster, Paula Rushton, writes:
"He lives with fellow FF dogs Joey & Tully and a fourth dog, Briscoe.  Mr. Man showed signs of neglect and may not have been treated to kindly in his previous home. He was probably an outdoor-onlydog who then lost his pal when she didn't make it out of the shelter (they were separated and FF didn't know he came in with another dog until it was too late).

Mr. Man: part terrier, maybe part chihuahua, possibly part mini Tasmanian devil.  What he lacks in leg length he makes up for with enthusiasm!  He works on controlling his excitement when he sees other doggies on walks; he spins, gets all wound up and winds up with his siblings' leashes wrapped around his little body. 

He prefers to relax on a raised bed in the shade outside but then LOVES LOVES LOVES bed time: he hops up with those short little legs, snuggles and doesn't move until morning.  He is safe, cared for and loved."

Monthly Sponsoring Fan

Charlene Buechne


8 year old Red was rescued from Harbor Shelter in San Pedro on September 7th, 2014.  Red is living the big dog-big heart, slobbery kisses, and family wrestles life with Family, Quentin & Kellee Tomlinson.

Our meatloaf, Red, is so loved!

"Red is an amazing 8 year old senior Staffordshire Terrier, who is approximately 80 pounds of sheer love and delight!

Red is a fan of long snuggles, warm kisses and belly rubs!

Red loves to take walks to the end of the street and back, which is okay because his momma doesn't mind. She'll walk him 'til the end of the street several times a day as he refuses to turn the corner!

Red loves loves loves to sleep and you can always tell when he is soaking up some ZZZzzzzz's because he snores louder than any person his momma ever met!

Red isn't always active, but you better bet your bottom dollar that when his momma gets home he runs and jumps as if he were a young buck again! He twirls in a huge circles wagging his tail the whole way. Occasionally he will jump up like a kid!

Red has a huge fan club on Facebook, Frosted Faces Foundation, and in the neighborhood. He is a head turner and everywhere we go people want to know about Red.

Red's past life is a bit hazy but some of his behaviors are consistent with some sort of abuse. Red never lets that stop him from loving and giving his all to his new forever home!

Red loves to play with his toys, and on occasion Mom has to buy more because Red gets a 'lil excited and leaves his toys in tatters.

Red loves to be outside. You can find him with his nose in the mud rooting around for something! He loves to lay in momma's flower bed too.

Red is very emotional and you can read his feelings across his face. It's so cute when he doesn't understand, he will cock his head and look at you in bewilderment.

Red has a best friend, Cinnabon, my rescue Kitty. He loves her so much and won't go to bed unless he can see her the whole night. This relationship is very cute and took about a week to transpire.

Lastly. Red is a champ who was saved by Frosted Faces Foundation and Paul Hupp. They believed in him when nobody else did and they spent countless hours arranging his journey to his forever home. Red is the best thing that has happened to my family in a long time and he is truly loved and adored. We are thankful for Red. Many say we saved him but he saved us." 

Monthly Sponsoring Fans
Lynsey Douglas
Sally Whitely


Sam before after.jpg


download (33).jpg

In September 27th, 2015 we Fulfilled our promise to 12 year old Abuelo (lovingly known as Booboo) who we rescued from Baldwin Park Shelter on September 22nd, 2014. He just celebrated his Frostiversary this week, a party complete with treats, birthday hats and guests.

Booboo visited San Diego Bay Animal Hospital today for a "check up," as we kind of knew what Dr. Wallace was going to say. Booboo had lost so much weight, was visibly in pain, and we frustratingly just could not find the cause. He has been wincing in pain, having trouble breathing, a bloody nose, and not eating. We have had good days and bad days maintaining him on fluids, sometimes foods, various antibiotics and pain meds, only to occasionally win a sparkle in his eye.  

We invested in cultures, dental surgeries, X-rays, bloodwork, and even an exploratory surgery this month, but nothing gave us answers. Today was the day we were faced with the reality that there was nothing left we could do, we had fought the good fight for him. He was wasting away in front of our eyes. We had run out of time to figure it out… if the cause even was treatable, we will not know and that leaves all of us pretty uncomfortable.

We will not remember him for his sickness. Booboo had a wonderful year as a Frosted Face being well cared for my Lynne Christmas & her daughter, Amanda. They fed him his favorite food, let him sleep in bed where he likes to burrow, and he enjoyed daily morning walks in their neighborhood. Thank you to Jessica Farrington and Judy Sharp for being BooBoo's monthly sponsoring Fans.


download (34).jpg

We rescued Pax from Carson Shelter on September 23rd, 2014 at the age of 10.  When we saw her heartbreaking video, we knew we were dealing with a dog who had neurological issues.  She spun circles to her right, and her head was permanently tilted to the right.  Upon vetting, we discovered she had a brain tumor and her illness overtook her body and quality of life quickly.  When it became difficult for her to breathe we released her from the pain of which her body held her captive, to run free in the meadows over the Rainbow Bridge.  Pax's mom, Robyn, will tell you what you really want to know…the good things like how much she was loved.

"Kelly and I met in October 2013 when we adopted Kimber (fka Hermione) from The Barking Lot, where she worked at the time. We later realized we’d actually both been at the Courthouse at the same time when applying for our marriage licenses – to wed the incredibly patient and supportive dog lover husbands we now both have. When Kelly started Frosted Faces, I knew I wanted to be a part of it, and have been lucky enough to meet almost every Frosted Face to take before and after photos.

When Kelly posted Daniela’s picture seeking a hospice foster for her, I knew we had to get her out. So from a plane somewhere over the Middle East, I messaged and said we’d take her. We named her Pax, hoping to show her some peace in her final days. Pax came to us when we landed 18 hours later, and bonded quickly. She made herself comfortable on an oversized bed, met my three giant fur-kids, and seemed to feel at home. Pax turned out to be a champion photo-editing partner, snoozing on her bed while I worked. She got cheeseburgers for dinner and her fill of ear scratches and snuggles. Kimber, in particular, took to Pax – at first wondering why she wouldn’t play, but quickly realizing Pax demanded a gentler friend.

When I went home at lunch to check on Pax, I knew something wasn’t right. I took her outside for some sunshine and settled her on her comfy bed. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so I'll let Kimber and Pax tell the rest of the story of a fast friendship and an unlikely pair who were together only a few days, but together til the end. Pax vobiscum -- peace be with you. RIP, pretty girl."



Mabel was dropped over the fence into an FFF supporter's yard.  She immediately reached out to us, and we networked sweet Mabel for a Family.  Only a week later, Elaine and Danny Flores stepped up, and were in LOVE with her! She officially became a Frosted Face on September 23rd, 2014. The vet thought she was about 11 years old, and had been bred many times.   SHE was finally the baby, and a prize to be won! 

As Mabel spent time with her Family they realized her belly was getting very large, she was uncomfortable on her own four legs, and she consumed water endlessly.  Labs finally revealed an answer to our concerns, which was diabetes, but it was only a symptom of the underling issues.  On Mabel’s last days she was producing ketones from insulin deficiency, she had a massive tumor in her abdomen pushing on her organs, and her arthritis had become so painful that she could not use her legs for even the most delightful things like eating and cat chasing.  On March 4th, 2015, Mabel’s Family let her be pain free and at peace.

Mabel’s mom, Elaine, wrote this beautiful tribute:

“Mabel, our darling Mabel.

With her little eyes shining brightly Mabel walked into her new forever home and our lives were changed forever. She loved food like she loved her walks, sniffing and doing what dogs do best, she loved us and upon arriving home from work she would be at the front door with her little tail wagging waiting for those hugs and kisses, not to forget who was going to feed her.

She tolerated the indoor cats and did not like the fact that the ferals would come to the back door for meal time. If she did not know you she would in her strange little voice bark to let you know a stranger had entered her space.  She was a very intelligent dog to as she knew exactly when she was about to have her bath, I think this was one of her pet peeves if you pardon the pun.

We never thought that we could love a dog so much in such short a time. Last night when she allowed the indoor cats to sniff her we knew that she was suffering.

Today we celebrate Mabel’s life and know that she had a loving home and was so loved. May you rest at the rainbow bridge my little princess.”


15 year old Choco was rescued from Lancaster Shelter on October 20th, 2014.  He had a boy of his very own, Dillon Salcido! We lost Choco to congestive heart failure on June 29th, 2015. Thank you to

Jennifer Faraji, Alana Lawler, and Sima Salek for being Choco's dedicated monthly sponsoring Fans.


e lost our sweet 13 year old Pumpkin this morning, December 12th, 2014.  She told her mom that she didn't want to eat anymore, she was not strong enough to walk, and she was dazed with pain. We rescued Pumpkin from Downey Shelter on October 2nd, 2014. As you may recall, she suffered from an enlarged spleen, most likely hemangiosarcoma, and laryngeal paralysis.

While one of Pumpkin's short term fosters Kristen Martin DeMuth was a phone call away, her other short term foster Lynsey Roever, her mom, Kristin Lucas and I consoled each other and held Pumpkin as she passed away. With an unleashed cry, her mom announced to the room, "I just LOVE her!" as she draped her body over Pumpkin's.  

We have so much lost time to make up for when we discover our abandoned Frosted Faces so late in life. I know Kristin was wishing "Pump" could talk this morning and tell her, "We had enough time, and you loved me as hard as you could while you had me."

While Pumpkin is at peace, we are left behind hurting.  Pumpkin's short term foster mom, Lynsey Roever, wrote this letter to make Pumpkin's mom, Kristin, feel better.

"Dear Mama Kristin,

You are the best mom I ever had.  When I was in that cold unhappy place you call the shelter, no one noticed when I threw up or how skinny I was getting or that I didn't feel well.  Then you and Kelly came for me, and I knew I was one lucky girl.  I never minded all that construction noise in the new house, because I was home with you.  You made me the best homemade food.  You fed me so nicely and were so patient with me.  You snuggled me on your bed and gave me such nice dog beds.  You kept me warm in a sweater.  You took me out in the sun on those nice walks until I was tired and had to stop.  You carried me when I needed it and took me to the vet today when I was needed it.  No one noticed my silly under bite the way you did or kissed my little snout and nose like you did.  You made me feel like a model with all of the pictures you took of me.  Trevor was pretty nice, except for what I like to call the thermometer incident...  And those littles that kept sneaking into my bed were nice too, but you're the one I counted on and you're the one whose snuggles I loved most of all.  You all were so sweet to include me in your Christmas card photo and to make me feel so loved.  I loved being part of you family, and I wanted to hold on and stay with you longer.  But it was getting too hard for me, and I was so tired all the time.   Thank you for letting me rest.  Thank you being my best home ever and for all your love.

Your Pump"

Pumpkin's other short term foster mom, Kristen DeMuth Martin, wrote this in tribute to Pumpkin:

"We were blessed to know and care for Pumpkin and her sweet soul. We saw her go from unable to walk the stairs to running up them showing that love and compassion really is powerful. Though she didn't have much time, the love everyone gave her brought out the best in her, and she gave us a lesson in courage. Rest well Pumpkin."


e fulfilled our promise to 18 year old Jane today.

We rescued Jane on October 2nd, 2014 from Downey Shelter. She was one of our longest living Frosted Faces, and just celebrated her third Frostiversary. Jane passed quickly and naturally at her mom's side, and the cause is unknown. We had just done bloodwork and full body x-rays last month of which were excellent for her age!

Jane's mom reflects, "I have watched many others have to write this post. Today my sweet pearl loving diva Jane passed away. The last few days my other dogs must have sensed something was wrong with Jane. They sniffed and loved on her more than normal. Jane was my major cuddle sweetie. She always had to be next to you touching some part of your body. I keep looking over at her bed expecting to see her cute face. Run free my diva girl."

Most notable to me were the videos of Jane wiggling endlessly in the soft grass. Her happiness was contagious, and we were privileged to pair her up with such a devoted mom like Terri Garber and her boys. Thank you sincerely, Terri, for all of your love and support.

Thank you to Victoria Owen Conway for being Jane's dedicated monthly sponsoring Fan. She sponsored her care for all three years, began sponsoring other Frosted Faces too, and then got herself a Frosted Face. <3

We love you, precious Jane.



n October 5th, 2017 we fulfilled our promise to Finnegan and his mom tells his story with neat detail.

"Oh Finnegan. We went through a lot together, but this is the hardest. Rest in Peace, my sweet boy.

Finnegan, Finnie, Finn, The Finster, Finn Man, Finnegan BeginAgain . . . My Finn passed away peacefully on October 5, 2017, just 4 days short of his 3rd Frostiversary. Five months after he joined our family, Finnegan was diagnosed with insulinoma and given 6-9 months. But he wasn’t going to have any of that, no sir. He had a family now, and he wasn’t giving us up so soon! Together we celebrated 3 Christmases, 3 Frosted Faces Foundation Anniversary parties, 3 Halloweens, 2 Frostiversaries, and so much more.

Finnegan loved his food and treats. A favorite was watermelon, oh and sardines, and then there were . . . well, you know, there wasn’t much he didn’t love. Finn was a pretty mellow boy once the hormones after neutering left his system (he was a bit of a “hound dog” those first 10 days!). Finnegan enjoyed sunning on the patio, neighborhood walks, car rides, snuggling (especially on movie days), but only tolerated “dressing up”. After putting a sweater on him, or a Santa hat, or a Halloween costume, or his Frostiversary finery, he always gave me that look that said, “You know I’m only doing this because you love it so much, Mom.” Yet he was ok with the Green Bay Packers scarf. A tribute to Kelly and Andy, I’m sure!

Thank you Kelly Smíšek and Andy Smíšek for making Finnegan a Frosted Face on October 9, 2014. He has been the joy of my life. Finnegan’s two fans from Day 1, his Auntie Glenda Edwards and Auntie Kim Salt, were devoted to him. Thank you both for loving Finn so very much. And thank you to all of Finnie’s Aunties and Uncles in our Frosted Faces Families. Our FFFamilies give “Family” a whole new meaning.

Run free, my Finnegan. I will always love you. Until we meet again . . ."

Like I told Gail upon Finn's passing, I think I will always feel like he is out there being loved. Finnegan was one of our first Frosted Faces and to imagine him aged and gone is not easy to wrap my heart around. We could always count on Gail to invest her whole self into his care- thank you Gail Shirley for the life you offered Finnegan and all of your support through time, recruiting new families, and donations to spread our work.

We love you, Finnegan.



n September 29th, 2015 Fulfilled our promise to 12 year old Leyla who we rescued from Carson Shelter on October 22nd, 2014 and was forever fostered by David & Catina Perahia. She tried so hard to hang on until her Frostiversary, but in the end, it was more honorable to let her go with dignity.  

Leyla's mom, Catina, writes:

"I had to put my sweet, little Leyla to sleep today. She will be missed more than she will ever know. When FFF saved Leyla from the Carson Shelter, she was in really bad shape. With fantastic medical care thanks to FFF, nutritious food, soft doggie beds and a lot of love Leyla began to do very well.

These past few weeks she started fading away. Her back legs were so weak she could barely stand. I was hand feeding all of her meals to her and her appetite decreased. She started to walk around the house all day and all night long, bumping into things everywhere. Going potty was a struggle for her. When she would try to squat to go, most times she would fall over. It has been heartbreaking to see her deteriorate.

With Kelly's support and Dr. Herrera at Peninsula Center Pet Hospital saying that it's "definitely time," I had to say goodbye to my sweet baby.

I'm so grateful to Kelly and Andy for saving her and for enabling me to give her the life that she so deserved for her last year. She was so sweet and special. I will always cherish the 11 months I had with her. Thank you, FFF."

Thank you to David & Catina for being so good to teeny tiny Leyla.

Rest in peace little one.

Thank you Bev Hollis Photography and Michael Kavanaugh for being Leyla's monthly sponsoring Fans.


Jiminy Cricket

3 year old Jiminy Cricket (fka Dingo/Killer) was rescued from Baldwin Park Shelter on October 21st, 2014, after being left behind by his owners who had been in an accident and could no longer care for him. He was supposed to be our shining star on a Thanksgiving FOX dog-a-thon, and sit on the lap of Betty White! We only picked the cutest, best mannered dog we could find…and that was you sweet Jiminy.

Be still my heart. I was ready for you the moment I saw your frosted face. I waited 10 days in vain for you to become available in hopes that perhaps your Mom & Dad may have not truly abandoned you and may return. When I first met you, your smile melted me, and I was relieved that you were safe in our care. This outcome was not fair and I grieve for you because I was falling in love with you and we had big plans for your little special life. You will not be forgotten sweet Jiminy. 

Jiminy Cricket's breath became labored. X-rays showed that his lungs we're 90% filled with fluid and he had a pneumonia. We treated him, put our trust in the veterinarians and waited for Jiminy to recover. We received a call in the afternoon a day later that it was time. Andy & I rushed to find our baby struggling to breathe even in an oxygen tent. We held our dear Jiminy tightly on our laps and let our tears flow as we let him go on October 23rd, 2014.

We cried for you Jiminy. You had a Family in us and we will not forget you. 



appy passed away March 29th, 2016 and we are all grieving such a joyful, innocent dog. We rescued Pappy from Ventura County Animal Services on October 24th, 2014.

He was so happy all of the time and his walk was the most memorable. It always made us smile. Pappy suffered from a vestibular episode this fall, but recovered quickly. Just two weeks ago he seemed to have another, but even with treatment he never recovered. He could not stand nor eat, and oh - how his Forever Fosters did not want to part with their dear Pappy. They held him until the very end.

Our loss of Pappy reminds us of our final promise to our Frosted Faces, and that is to not let them suffer. Our bodies all will fail us in some way some day and we are privileged to have the science to lovingly let our pets rest.

Thank you for Nefi and Dillon Salcido for being Pappy's Forever Foster Family, and thank you to Kim Whiting and Melissa Shaw for being Pappy's dedicated monthly sponsoring Fans.



enny’s new life consisted of walks in the park, chin scratches, snuggles, tasty meals and a warm comfy bed for him to rest his arthritic body.  When Benny fell down, there were patient and understanding hands there to pick him back up and sit with him until he was calm and cozy again.  He literally had the support and prayers of a thousand people that followed his story and the many folks that donated money, beds, and their time towards the common goal of giving Benny a better life.

Benny’s passing is incredibly sad in the sense that we wish we would have had more time with him.  On the other hand, we are happy that he is at peace now and that he passed away with dignity, while being showered in kisses and held by two people that loved him very much.

Thank you to all the people that helped bring Benny into our lives. Thank you to Benny for being so tough and loving and hanging in there until our paths crossed.  Carley and I were both honored to have you as part of our family and we will truly miss our walks, your kisses and wrapping our arms around you.  Rest in peace Benny Boo Bear.  We love you." Tina Saxton

"If love alone could have kept you here, you would have lived forever."  Carley King

Benny passed away on November 11th, 2014.


obbie was rescued from Downey Shelter on November 9th, 2014.  He got a good bath, warm snuggles on a therapeutic dog bed, showed us that he knew how to roll over, and had the most gentle demeanor.  The next morning he took a turn for the worse.

His temperature has been sky high for a couple of days and he couldn't even breathe with the help of oxygen. He's been in the hospital receiving IV fluids and antibiotics, oxygen, and being kept cool since yesterday morning. X-rays showed his lungs were filled with fluid and he also suffered from a heart murmur which makes treatment difficult. By this afternoon, doctors said the prognosis wasn't good, that he was suffering and would most likely not recover.

We are grateful for every dollar we are able to spend on the care of our dogs, because sometimes no amount of money can save them. Today, November 13th, 2014, 10 year old Bobbie from Downey lost his battle with pneumonia and passed away. 

It was just Bobbie & me when it was time. It was nice to be alone. I got to talk to him out loud with no reservations and I got to hold him and sob all over him when he was gone. Bobbie was loved and we wanted so much good for him. 

The worst part about losing our Frosted Faces right out of the shelter is that they don't get to experience all of the love and plans we have so carefully set in place for each. Bobbie didn't even get to meet his mom, Jill Farris Knipp. You as fans didn't even get know Bobbie well, and he was such a dear dog. That first night he showed us roll over, he gave kisses, and he was soooo beautiful and gentle. 

We love you Bobbie. Rest in peace.



e Fulfilled our promise to 11 year old Frost on February 18th, 2016 at Southern Temecula Veterinary Hospital. We rescued Frost on December 26th, 2014 from West Valley Shelter - LA after he had been surrendered there by his owner.

Just a few weeks ago Frost went in for an exam appearing that he needed another dental because his mouth was smelly and seemed painful, and to consider additional pain meds because he was growing weaker. It was then that we learned Frost had lymphoma causing these symptoms and his prognosis was poor. He slipped away so quickly, too quickly.

His family writes:

"It is with heavy hearts that we set Frost free tonight. After a 4 week battle with cancer it was his time.

Frost joined our family a few days after Christmas last year and lived all but the last few weeks healthy and happy. He was loved by all who met him, instantly fit into our pack and provided our family several moments of comic relief.

Thank you to Kelly Smíšek and Andy, who run Frosted Faces, for trusting us to provide for Frost.

Although this is the most difficult part of fostering, it is tempered by the knowledge that one less dog had to suffer needlessly and alone in a high kill animal shelter. Our boys continue to learn invaluable life lessons through these difficult times. Those lessons will undoubtedly influence them positively as they continue to grow into young men."

Thank you dearly Matt and Heather Klingelberg for making Frost part of your family. He was so beautiful, wasn't he? Thank you to Evelyn Fielman for being Frost's dedicated monthly sponsoring Fan.

Rest in peace, gorgeous.


enelope was rescued from Moreno Valley Shelter on November 8th, 2014. 15 year old Penelope lived with loving forever foster Bella Shepard.  Penelope - sweet as butter - lost her battle with congestive heart failure on June 23rd, 2015.  Thank you Melissa Muik for being Penny's dedicated monthly sponsoring Fan.


e rescued 18 year old Eddie (fka Tiny) from Carson Shelter on November 9th, 2014. He lived with three different Families in his time with Frosted Faces Foundation!  He went to a short term foster, where he stayed for two weeks with Jamie & Jamie Aitken.  While his true Family, Kay Buell, nursed another of her ailing dogs, Eddie stayed at Headquarters for awhile and roamed innocently with our pack.  He finally got to be with his mom, Kay, until the end, when his brain cancer got the best of him and took him away form us on December 8th, 2014.

Jamie, who knew Eddie best, wrote this in tribute to him:
"Eddie felt like family from the moment we met him, even if it was only temporary. He came back to our house and while he was getting acquainted with his new surroundings he gave my husband a big kiss on the face. Our crazy young small dogs even loved Eddie, following him around on walks and in the backyard while exploring. Our nicknames for Eddie were “Sir Eddard” or “Edward”, because he was such a regal old soul.

My favorite memories of him were when he would wake up from a nap and wag his little nub tail ever so slightly at seeing me. He loved eating his soft food, especially when hand fed or spoon fed to him. He loved taking walks around the neighborhood, smelling the bushes on the hillside and hopping up and down the curbs. Everyone who met him remarked what a calm, polite and gentle boy he was. He was very good natured. He never made a peep, not even a growl when the younger dogs barked at him or ran around near him. He spent much of his time napping and I think he liked it when I covered him with a nice plush blanket. At first he was not too interested in being petted and seemed indifferent to it. By the end of our time with him, he would walk over and put his head near my lap so I could pet him.

I told Eddie so many times how much he was loved and that life isn't fair many times, but things were better for him now and he had families that loved him. I truly believe he knew this and felt all the love he was given. Eddie was our temporary foster, but we will forever love and remember him. His loss has hit us hard, but I would not trade it for anything. Jamie&Jamie (aka temporary mom&dad) love you Eddie. Thank you Kelly, Andy & Kay for allowing us to love Eddie too."


elly was a 10 year old stray who we rescued from Carson Shelter on July 14th, 2014.  Thanks to Sarah Melick and Letty Morfin for transporting her to us!  Kelly caught the attention of many at Carson, because she had very high anxiety, and paced all over her kennel.  She was covered in severe matting, but the shelter shaved her after a few days.  

Kelly arrived to us with a cold and very inflamed eyeballs.  Medication to relieve the inflammation and infection in her eyes immediately changed her behavior.  She no longer paced, but rested peacefully on her favorite pillow near the couch.  She loved being outside and wandering in the grass.  She was SUPER potty trained as well.  As soon we set her outside, she squatted to do her business!  She was fully blind, but that didn't stop her from finding food when it was out or walking around the house with the other dogs.  We were so lucky to have found Kelly and were privileged to be able to place her in a loving home with John and Glenda Edwards.  We lost Kelly on December 11th, 2015. 

Her mom writes:

"My little Kelly, originally named Esther when she was rescued from Carson in July, 2014. After much angst and a mountain of texts, Kelly Smíšek rescued her, saving her life for us to love. I am eternally grateful for all who assisted and gave us this opportunity.

Kelly blossomed as much as she could with all her ongoing medical issues. You can tell by these photos! It was determined by our vet that she had been abused at some point and her blindness at some point could have been helped. 

Blindness never stopped her. She was in and out the dog door like a champ and owned every inch of the back yard. She always got her way, and her treats...which was generally fresh turkey and, or sweet potato jerky medallions. No wasn't a word we used for her. 

We were blessed with her for a year and a half and I am sure it was meant to be. We found Frosted Faces and hope to always be a part of this wonderful group. Our little Kelly saw to that. 

She had a nickname...our little "Tiddie Bits". She loved hearing John call her that. She is waiting for us in Heaven...to call her that again. We love you, Tiddie Bits."

Kelly was our 5th Frosted Face ever and she and FFF are blessed to share John & Glenda Edwards' love. We knew they were going to be fantastic as they drove all the way from Nevada to San Diego to get their little princess after rescue! Thank you to Susan Cassell, Amanda Jimenez, and Celeste Leander for being Kelly's dedicated monthly sponsoring Fans

Rest in peace little girl.


Annie Mae

2 year old Annie Mae was rescued from Long Beach Shelter on November 16th, 2014.  This little cutesie lives with Family, Emily & Brandon Elliott.

Big things really do come in small packages. When Annie Mae came home, she could barely be 3lbs sopping wet, and we had to show our large dogs that Annie Mae was indeed a dog and not some little furry creature. Annie Mae has found her place within the pack and has laid claim to her 'boy toy' Skipper the chiweenie, who sweetly tolerates her shameless advances.  She hops around him making flirtatious squeaks, cleans his ears, and burrows under blankets with him.  She has an appetite like you wouldn't believe and weighs a whole 4lbs now thanks to FFF removing several rotten teeth! Annie Mae walks on a leash in public like a little boss and when she gets tired she is toted around in a satchel. Bed time is Annie Mae's special time when she gets cuddles all to herself. Just a look in her direction causes her to flip over for belly rubs. Annie Mae is a proper little princess complete with companionship, a fabulous wardrobe, and love for the rest of her days.  The amount of love and joy that this little dog has brought to our lives is immeasurable.  

Monthly Sponsoring Fans
Eleck Vari 

Jenna Larso


e Fulfilled our promises to 17 year old Candy October 29th, 2015. She was throwing up so violently that she slipped a disc in her back causing paralysis, and an ultrasound showed a large new tumor in her abdomen which was likely causing the new symptoms of discomfort. 

Too many dogs leave this world without a family or a legacy. Candy had both. Enjoy the tribute that her family, Lisa and Brendan Binns, share.

"I will never forget the day I drove to Downey shelter to pick up Candy- Sunday Nov 30th. It was raining. I had never been to Downey shelter, it was bad. I got emotional just driving into the parking lot. I had to wait almost an hour to get Candy, it was torture. I walked the kennels with the attendant until we got to hers. There were about 4 small dogs in with her and then I spotted her- skinny, barely standing and looking very weak. There was no where soft bed for her to lay down so I figured she had been standing a lot. As soon as the attendant confirmed her tag # with my paperwork, I scooped her up, wrapped her in a towel and held her very close to me. I was crying. I felt so bad for her (and all the others I had to leave behind). Dogs were barking so loud, it was deafening. Her head rested by my shoulder and I whispered in her ear that she was safe. She would never have to worry again. And I hope and pray that I have fulfilled that promise to her.... 

When I brought her home I seriously thought she had about 2 weeks to live. She was in bad shape. She could hardly stand, let alone pee without falling over. I made peace with it and thought that at least she isn't dying alone, cold or terrified. Fast forward to January 2015..... Candy hit celebrity status in my neighborhood- she didn't walk on a leash but trotted along behind me, her 2 brother-dogs and my daughter. One by one, my neighbors learned of Candy's story and how she became "my dog."They loved her too.

They loved that she was old but had a spring in her step, they loved that she followed behind us on our walks- down the street, across the street, and back again. Sometimes even around the entire block. They loved that she was loved. They loved that a senior dog got a second chance. They loved Candy. They loved Candy like I did.

Candy loved to go on car rides. She got to sit in front with me on a special seat cover with her blankets. She was content to just be near me. She followed me from room to room in the house so I made sure there was a dog bed in every room. Recently, I had put her dog bed right next to my bed so she could be closer as I could sense she was getting more needy. I would have to be careful as to not step on her in the middle of the night. She snored. She snored loud. But that was ok.

I don't know where things went wrong or what happened but I just know my old gal didn't feel well. Things progressed fast and it was hard. Hard to think clearly and make the best decision for Candy. Not for me but for Candy. I made a promise to her that she would never suffer or suffer alone and all can do is think that I (hope) lived up to my promise to her- that she is not in pain. I pray that she slipped away knowing how much I grew to love her and that I thought I did what was best for her..... it doesn't matter how many times you do this, you always second guess yourself and your decision. Run free Candy Cane Coo de Coo.... you are loved and your missed!

She passed 1 day short of her 11 month Frostiversary."

Thank you Elizabeth White for being Candy's monthly sponsoring Fan.



0 year old Scooby was rescued from Long Beach Shelter on December 23rd, 2014.  He was surrendered with our Princess.  Scooby now lives with Family, Steve & Chris Pennington.

Monthly Sponsoring Fan



4 year old Princess was rescued from Long Beach Shelter on November 29th, 2014.  Somehow pocket pittie, Princess, pick pocketed the heart of the queen of Pom Palace, and she got to join the "pomtourage" and have lots of pom pals! Jaymie Hudson is Princess's forever foster Family! 

Monthly Sponsoring Fan

Tami Cross


e fulfilled our promise to Mimi on November 23rd, 2016.

We rescued Mimi, formerly May, on December 5th, 2014 from Carson Shelter. On that same day we rescued three other dogs on a big rescue adventure we titled Operation Girls' Day Out. Although we lost Mimi of kidney disease just days before her second Frostiversary and short of her 12th birthday, she was the last living Frosted Face from that special day. Here is a video by Haute Dog: couture pet photography documenting their rescue: 
Girls' Day Out: https://www.facebook.com/HauteDogPetPhotography/videos/1556141154604376/

There is something to be said about having only one dog. One can pour herself into that little trusting soul the way Joanna did, and it means many outfit changes, personalized "M" pancakes, a customized "M" toy box, always getting a spot in the bed, being in the Christmas card, memorable vacations, swim therapy, gobs of attention, and OH so many photos!

Not all bully breeds are so lucky to live such a fairytale and we are sincerely grateful that Mark Hubbard and Joanna Poleszczuk wrote Mimi's. Thank you to Terry Phillips and Nanette Wood for being Mimi's monthly sponsoring Fans.

This quotation is worth repeating to sum up the relationship of Joanna and Mimi:

"That’s what we do – we hold them close. We hold our dogs so close that parts of ourselves overflow and fall directly onto their furry heads. So when we look at our dogs we see our worst sorrows, our greatest joys and the deepest part of ourselves for which there is no name. The story of our dogs is the story of us."
-William Kearney

Rest in peace, Meemer



n April 17th, 2017  we fulfilled our promise to 13 year old Diamond.

We rescued Diamond on July 9th, 2015 from Carson Shelter after she was surrendered by her owners. This is her parents' favorite photo of her, and we can see why- she is part of a family and shining!

We love to know what moves a person to adopt a senior dog, and today we learned Stacey's story, as this is her SECOND Frosted Face rottie (she was also mom to Skylar).

"I don't know if I ever told you, my first dog that I had when I wasn't a kid I wanted a rottweiler so I got one at 16 for my birthday. Her name was Sierra and was the sweetest thing. When I grew up and got married I left her with my grandparents and my uncle because she was the family dog.

She got sick with cancer at 10 years old. She couldn't see because of it and we did chemo, but it didn't work. One day it became clear it was time and my uncle didn't tell me, and he took her to put her down, which really upset me because I wanted to be there. What's worse, I found out he didn't even stay in the room with her which crushed me.

I always wanted to foster and finally after my brother died I decided to do it because it helped me heal and I always chose rotties in memory of my Sierra."

Sierra's legacy lived on in the late Frosted Face Skylar, and now in Diamond.

Stacey reflects, "Driving to the vet confirmed what I already knew, she loves car rides and loves sitting up enjoying them, and she couldn't this time. She kept lifting her head up trying, but she couldn't lift the rest of her body and that made me so sad. I sat with her cradled in my lap and played 'somewhere over the rainbow' and 'what a wonderful world' by the late Hawaiian singer Israel kamakawiwo'ole because he has such a calming voice and beautiful songs.

I told her how much she was loved and how good she was. She licked my face and I kissed her back and held her until she was gone and stayed awhile after. I cried and I can't stop crying, but I know she is out of that body that held her back from a lot of the things she enjoyed. My heart misses her but I know it was the right thing."

Diamond could not walk in the end, and even as we did some last ditch palliative care at Peninsula Center Pet Hospital, Dr. H mentioned how great Stacey and her family had been doing keeping Diamond clean and moving in spite of her immobility. They gave her every last good day until the bad outweighed the good.

James & Stacey Dowdell embody Frosted Faces Foundation's mission and we are so proud to work with them. Thank you to Theresa Mulligan Rosenthal for being Diamond's dedicated monthly sponsoring Fan.

Stretch your legs, Diamond. We love you!





e rescued KD from San Bernardino Shelter at the age of 9 on December 5th, 2014. This picture is a favorite because KD didn't just look this trustingly right into the eyes of anyone, but you know that she is looking into they face of the single most meaningful person in her whole life- her forever foster & mom, Patricia Allem. 

Patricia is a wreck feeling the emptiness of loss this evening, and somehow mustered up this beautiful tribute about her girl. 

"Today Katie Dog (KD) crossed over to The Rainbow Bridge. I was blessed to have KD for over 8 months…when the vets thought she would only be with me for 2 months! She was THE PERFECT dog…I am serious and Kelly agrees with me! KD was beautiful, smart and so gentle and such a little lady at 98 pounds.  

It took KD a couple of days to feel at home with me and look me in the eyes, but, oh once that happened we were best friends…I couldn’t go from one room to another or the couch to the chair without KD getting up to be closer to me. You could see the love in her eyes and I will never forget that.  

She trusted me completely and that is something I will hold close to my heart forever…I don’t know what KD’s life was before becoming part of Frosted Faces and my family but I know it wasn’t good. She had multiple medical issues including cancer that spread throughout her tummy but you would not know it by the way she would be so happy all the time.  

Until the end…she still tried to wag her tail and be happy but I know she was only doing that for me. She was tired and filled with cancer and was ready to rest. She passed away very peacefully with her head in my lap. I will miss her forever. Rest In Peace sweet girl."

KD passed away on August 21st, 2015. Thank you Kathy Cleveland for being KD's sponsoring Fan.



e Fulfilled our promise to 14 year old Biscuit on February 26th, 2016 after battling kidney disease. We rescued Biscuit from Carson Shelter on December 5th, 2014 after a landlord had found him in an abandoned rental. 

His mom reflects:
Yesterday afternoon I held Biscuit for the last time humming to him, kissing his head and massaging his paw. 

This funny old man who wasn't expected to last but a few weeks survived 14 months. His will and strength to live astounded me. Even on bad "grumpy" days he still had that spark that said he wasn't done fighting yet. 

On his Frostiversary Dec 5th, I made him a promise that together we would work for him to go down in FFF books as the longest surviving foster ever and he gave me every reason to believe that he understood me perfectly. Biscuit could be stuborn but a cute stubborn. He hated toys that his sister ran around the house squeaking so when he got the chance he would get it, tuck it under himself and nap so he didn't have to deal with it.

Biscuit had an adventerous 14 months. He moved from CA beaches to snow in CO and back to the CA Inland Valley. He loved the sand, the snow (didn't like putting his boots on though) and had recently discovered that pine cones were fun to push around with his nose.

My heart has a huge empty space, last night I didn't wake up to him linking my leg in the middle of the night for potty time but I woke up anyway reaching for him. 

I know that we all share this empty space, the void, the huge hole in our hearts when we lose our furever foster but the things we learn from them, the bond that is formed to me is somewhat different than these same things I share with my own dogs. The forgotten, abused or dumped senior dogs that FFF entrust to our care show their gratitude in multiple ways for being given the chance to live a happy fulfilling end of life. 

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to share Biscuit's last year. He will forever be in my heart."

Thank you so much Carol Burt for being Biscuit's loving Forever Foster Family and helping him to live longer than any of us thought possible! Thank you to Melissa Muik for being Biscuit's dedicated monthly sponsoring Fan. 



here wasn't more perfect dog to define Frosted Faces Foundation and she was officially our 50th senior rescue since our inception! "Julia" was a 10 year old, over bred, bully breed from one of the most controversial high kill shelters in SoCal, San Bernardino City Animal Shelter. On December 9th, 2014 she was rescued, newly named "Kasa" and lives with Ralph & Lisa Denton.

Monthly Sponsoring Fan

Kelly McNamee